Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Topical Tuesdays: Nobody's Perfect!

Hey guys! So today I thought I'd talk to you about something that I personally feel is very important. These days many young women (and men!) are feeling pressured to look a certain way. What with the media shoving images of stick-think air-brushed celebs down our throats every single day it's easy to feel like you're not good enough. The word "perfect" is used a lot to make us ladies feel inadequate, but I have news for you. Nobody is perfect! The images you see are of people who have been put through grueling workouts & strict diets by a personal trainer. They have been pumped full of botox and silicone and not to mention after all of this pretty expensive & probably painful treatment they still have professional photographers who airbrush the heck out of their pics! Just check out this picture of Madonna (below) they've taken about 20 years off her! This gives out a completely false perception of reality and this is what makes us ladies feel crap about ourselves! (excuse the language there, but this is a subject that really gets to me!) 


Image taken from iamelectricplum.com























I understand that they are celebrities & want to look good in the public eye, but it can have really damaging effects to young women that idolise these people. Some girls end up starving themselves to be skinny, become addicted to exercise & actually start to hate themselves for not looking like celebs! This makes me really sad & also very angry at the media who carry on telling people the "right" & "wrong" ways to look! I, myself used to admire celebs "I want her hair, her boobs & bum, her teeth and that ones nose" are just some of the things I used to say to myself whilst flicking the pages of my weekly glossy mags. However, one day I was talking to a friend who had become obsessed with an actress. The way she spoke about her, telling me that she (my friend) had spent a fortune on products that she had used thinking that they would really make her look like the actress really shocked me. I felt sorry for my friend that she was so unhappy in her own skin that she was trying desperately to turn herself in to a lookalike. I mean I know I have envied famous people in the past, I'm sure most of us ladies have! But it's not real! Yes It's nice to look nice but at the end of the day, you can only truly be happy being yourself. I know this is all going to sound very preachy & almost cheesy but it has to be said! I'm so sick of people believing that what's on the outside is the most important, because it most certainly isn't! 

There are so many people that have much bigger physical defects which do not only effect how they look but how they live their lives. Some people are born without arms & legs, some people can't walk. Others have terrible diseases or are born blind or deaf. What I've noticed most is that these are the people, the truly unlucky people who have had to live with such a distressing affliction are the ones who always have a smile on their face! You see, these people have to deal with the way they are every single day & know they can't change that so why let it get them down? I really admire people like this. People who have been very unfortunate & have to live their lives feeling different to everybody else. Just check out 30 year old Nick Vujicic (pictured below). An Australian man who was born without arms and legs yet he hasn't let this get him down! His positive outlook on life really makes me take a look at myself and think "these people have to deal with bigger problems than whether they have Beyonces curves or Cheryl Coles hair, pull yourself together girl!" When I'm feeling down about myself I try to take a leaf out of this very brave & amazing mans books. I am so lucky to be able to do everyday things that people who have these disabilities cannot, what's on the outside really doesn't matter when you think about it, does it? So please, take the time to think about how lucky you really are whenever you're feeling blue & show your respect to these amazing & inspirational people. 



Man With No Arms And Legs Gets Married
Image taken from www.strangeorwhat.com



This topic has so many different angles, some of which I'd like to talk about in the future, i.e. eating disorders, self harm, etc. Please let me know if you'd like to hear about these subjects in my next Topical Tuesday posts. As usual please be thoughtful & respectful to others when commenting. Hope you all have a fab Tuesday! :)

Kelly xx

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud to follow you blog girl.. I feel exactly the same too. We obsess over what are first world problems, there are lots and lots of people who have to worry about where their next meal is going to come from. It is nice to look nice but beauty isn't skin deep, if you want to admire someone, admire them for their talent and determination and hard work, not because of how they look. :) GREAT POST!

    missyinthemirror101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for this lovely comment! Nice to know some people agree with me! :)

      Kelly xx

      Delete
  2. Hi, great post!!

    Please check out my recent posts?

    http://terriface01.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete