Tuesday, 7 May 2013

Topical Tuesdays: Hair Extensions, Are They Safe?

Image taken from www.bariatricfreedom.com




                                                                                                                                            





Hello my lovelies! Today's topic is slightly different. It doesn't include a q&a on the subject, like my usual Topical Tuesday posts. It's something that I've had personal experience with, and not a particularly good one! So here's my story..

Hair extensions are a great way to add volume and length to your hair! I'd always wanted long hair so when my mum suggested getting me some clip-in extensions for my 17th birthday I couldn't believe my luck! I was so excited! When I first put them in I'd never felt so happy about my hair, I felt like it had completely transformed my image and even gave me some new-found confidence! It's incredible how such a small thing can really make a difference! I would wear my extensions almost every day, I loved them & felt almost naked without them! However after about 6 weeks of wearing my beautiful clip-in hair things started to go wrong..



Pictured below, me, never without my hair extensions!







I started getting headaches. At first they weren't too bad, just the odd one now and then. But soon enough they became more regular and very intense, they were unbearable! I had no idea that it could be my hair extensions that could be causing them until a very unpleasant visit from my hairdresser & childhood friend Stephanie! She told me that it was very likely that the extensions were causing my headaches, due to the weight of them & the fact that I wore them so regularly was pulling at my natural hair and by doing so making my head hurt! But the trouble didn't stop there..


I had noticed that my hair had been falling out. It wasn't falling out in handfuls or anything, I just noticed it felt a lot thinner than normal & I didn't really think much of this at the time & thought it was due to the bad condition of it from over-bleaching it. (never a good idea ladies!) however during this not-so-great appointment with Stephanie she told me that it was probably falling out because of my extensions! I didn't think the damage would be that bad, but after she had inspected my scalp told me that I had Alopecia! For those of you unfamiliar, Alopecia is when your hair falls out, either in patches or all over! I was one of the lucky ones & just had big bald patches at the back of my head. I know what you're thinking, lucky one?! But it beat being bald and I was just glad that I'd discovered it in time, before I lost all of my hair! 


So after a few tears (and a big hug from my hairdresser!) I stood up and as much as it pained me, threw my extensions in the bin! I still can't believe that just wearing hair extensions could cause so much damage! I also found out that wearing them can also cause spots & bleeding of the scalp! (not attractive!) I've now not worn extensions since & my hair has now grown back! It's still not as long as I'd like it to be but I don't care! Having long hair really wasn't worth the risks that came with it!


Now I'm happier than ever with my natural hair! :)




So have any of you had a bad experience with your weave? Or are you lucky enough to be blessed with beautifully long hair? Let me know! :)
Kelly xo

8 comments:

  1. Oh no leaving your hair is a really bad story :/
    And the extensions are the reason? Really ? :o
    I'm surprised. I like your natural hair. :)
    Thank for your comment on my Blog! ♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! It was awful! So glad to have my hair natural and healthy now! :)
      You're welcome! :)

      Kelly xo

      Delete
  2. I've never used hair extensions and now I definitely never will! Thanks for the heads up!
    Your natural hair look lovely and I think if you're patient and take good care of it, it'll grow strong and beautiful :)
    I'm impressed on how well you handled the situation and how you were able to look on the bright side.
    x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was completely shocked by the damage they did to my hair! I always make sure I treat it well now!
      Thank you sweetie! :)

      Kelly xo

      Delete
  3. Your natural hair is gorgeous :) no extensions needed! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :)

      Kelly xo

      Delete
  4. The same thing happened to me! It was so hard to toss them but my hair is so much healthier now and is finally growing back. Not to mention its way easier to get ready in the morning!

    lovelyinlipstick.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a terrible thing to have to go through, ruins your hair!
      Ah I agree! :)

      Kelly xx

      Delete